… in their footsteps
There are so many of them.
The youngest, The Legal Genealogist‘s grandmother, Opal (Robertson) Cottrell, born in Texas in 1898.1
The oldest, a first cousin four times removed, Susannah C. (Young) Blalock, born in North Carolina, in 1836.2
Add in my great grandmother, Eula (Baird) Livingston Robertson, born in 1869 in Alabama.3
A whole ration of my grandmother’s aunts:
On her father’s side, Martha Wilmoth (Robertson) Crenshaw, born 1854;9 Mary Isabella (Robertson) Hendrix, born 1863;10 Fannie Boone (Robertson) Harrison, born 1865;11 and Lillie (Robertson) Wilson, born 1868.12
And what was true of them all — Every. Last. One. of. Them. — is that they were eligible to vote, for the very first time, 100 years ago this year.
Today, to honor them, I did what they could not do for so much of their lives.
Today, I cast my ballot in this momentous election.16
Today, I walked in their footsteps.
They fought so hard for the right to vote.
I surely wasn’t going to do less.
Today, I voted.
Cite/link to this post: Judy G. Russell, “To honor them,” The Legal Genealogist (https://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog : posted 17 Oct 2020).
- See Virginia Department of Health, Certificate of Death, state file no. 95-011808, Opal Robertson Cottrell (1995); Division of Vital Records, Richmond. ↩
- North Carolina State Board of Health, Death Certif. No. 163, Susan C. Blalock, Mitchell County, 11 Nov 1929; Bureau of Vital Statistics, Raleigh. Her death certificate says she was born in Mitchell County; that county wasn’t created until 1861. ↩
- See Virginia Dept. of Health, Certificate of Death, state file no. 6367, Eula Robertson (1954). ↩
- See Texas State Department of Health, death certificate no. 14160, Mrs. H.D. Holley, 8 Mar 1934; Bureau of Vital Statistics, Austin. ↩
- See “Matter of Record, Deaths: Theo Hodges,” Odessa (Tex.) American, 4 May 1984, p. 14, col. 2-3; digital images, Newspapers.com (https://www.newspapers.com/ : accessed 17 Oct 2020). ↩
- See Texas Dept. of Health, death certificate no. 38558, Addie Lee Harris, 6 May 1974. ↩
- Texas Dept. of Health, death certif. no. 32464, Mary E. Green, 12 July 1946. ↩
- Texas Dept. of Health, death certif. no. 20306, Margaret Arvy McCann, 13 Apr 1944. ↩
- Texas Dept. of Health, death certif. no. 1583, Mrs. Mattie Crenshaw, 26 Jan 1922. ↩
- Colorado State Registrar, Death Certif. No. 2203, Mary Isabella Hendrix, 5 Mar 1950; Bureau of Vital Statistics, Denver. ↩
- See 1870 U.S. census, Lamar County, TX, population schedule, Paris Post Office, p. 253(B) (stamped), dwelling 307, family 307, “Gustavis” B. Robertson household; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 9 Oct 2011); citing National Archive microfilm publication M593, roll 1594. ↩
- Texas Dept. of Health, death certif. no. 9581, Lily Wilson, 13 Feb 1956. ↩
- Tombstone, Lula Lancaster, Frederick City Cemetery, Frederick OK, photographed by author, 2002. ↩
- Tombstone, Etta Roberts, Frederick City Cemetery, Frederick OK, photographed by author, 2002. ↩
- Tombstone, Susie Kidwell, Frederick City Cemetery, Frederick OK, photographed by author, 2002. ↩
- New Jersey is all absentee this year: you can mail your ballot in; drop it as I did at a secure ballot box; or deliver it to your polling place on election day. ↩