Speaking out in 2019
The Legal Genealogist is quite certain that it will come as a great surprise to everyone out there.
You would never ever have guessed that … well … I like to talk about genealogy.
I know, I know. Such a shocking revelation.1
Can’t help it — with most of my family tending to roll their eyes when I even say the word genealogy, I have to have an outlet somewhere. And I got hooked on having people laugh at my jokes during all those years of teaching law students.2
Fortunately, if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my years as a genealogist, it’s that genealogists like to listen — and learn — and share stories.
And I’m privileged to have been chosen to speak to — and learn from — and share stories with some excellent genealogists coming up throughout 2019.
So if you’re of a mind to come out and listen — and learn — and share with me your stories, too, here are some options: conferences, seminars and lectures where you can find me.
• 2: Legacy Family Tree Webinar, “DNA Rights and Wrongs: The Ethical Side of Testing,” (now online, free through 8 January, by subscription thereafter)
• 5: Florida Genealogical Society of Tampa, via webinar, “Living with Legal Lingo,” 11 a.m. ET
• 13-19: Course coordinator and instructor, Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG), Salt Lake City
• 21-25: Instructor, SLIG and SLIG Academy, Salt Lake City
• 12: Illinois State Genealogical Society webinar, “Revelers, Hogkillers and Disobedient Children: Early Illinois Laws,” 9 p.m. CT
• 16: West Valley Genealogical Society 2019 Annual Seminar, Sun City West, Arizona
• 8: Alabama Genealogical Society, pre-seminar lecture
• 9: Alabama Genealogical Society 2019 Spring Seminar, Samford University, Birmingham
• 16: Williamson County Genealogical Society Annual Seminar, Round Rock, Texas
• 27: The Villages Genealogical Society, Florida
• 30: Lancaster Family History Conference, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
• 12-13: Virginia Genealogical Society 2019 Spring Conference, Richmond
• 22: Genealogical Society of Bergen County, New Jersey
• 8-12: NGS 2019 Conference, St. Charles, Missouri
• 18: Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison
• 30 – June 2: Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree, Burbank
• May 30 – June 2: Southern California Genealogical Society Jamboree, Burbank
• 7-8: The Genealogy Show UK, Birmingham, England
• 23-28: Course coordinator, Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh, LaRoche College
• 9-11: Midwest African-American Genealogical Institute, Fort Wayne, Indiana
• 21-26: Course coordinator and instructor, Institute of Genealogy & Historical Research, Athens, Georgia
• 30: “Researching Family in Pennsylvania” course, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
• 2: Genealogical Institute on Federal Records, National Archives, Washington, D.C.
• 3: Dallas Genealogical Society 2019 Summer Seminar, Dallas
• 17: Akron-Summit County Public Library, Ohio
• 21-24: FGS 2019 Conference, Washington, D.C. (attending)
• 6-8: BCG Board Meeting, Salt Lake City (attending)
• 14: Chester County Historical Society, Chester, Pennsylvania
• 28: Larimer County Genealogical Society 2019 Conference For A Cause, Loveland, Colorado
• 5: Wichita Genealogical Society, Kansas
• 18-19: Arkansas Genealogical Society, 2019 Fall Seminar
• 22: MyHeritage Webinar, “Privacy: How to Protect Your Information on MyHeritage,” 2 p.m.
• 26: Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana, Fort Wayne