Genealogy’s winter camp for genealogists
Somehow, the opening bell didn’t ring for The Legal Genealogist.
Probably because I’m still up to my eyebrows in other institute classes this summer, but I managed to miss the opening of registration for the 2022 Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG), currently planned to be held — in person — at the Salt Lake Hilton January 9–14, 2022, and for the 2022 SLIG Academy courses, being offered virtrually to run between January 30 to early April.
So with apologies to readers for the delay, registration is now officially open for all courses and seats are available in all but one class: the Advanced Land Course (Maps) is waiting-list-only at this point. Tuition for SLIG courses is $625, except for the DNA course which is $675. Tuition for SLIG Academy courses is $545 for “You’re Invited: Public Speaking from Concept to Delivery” and “Teaching Genealogy Classes in Your Community,” and $575 for all others.
Because you need an account before you can register, you’ll want to read up on the registration process. There’s a frequently-asked-questions page for the UGA Registration FAQ to help with getting the account set up, a page for SLIG Registration FAQ to answer SLIG registration questions, and then a separate Registration page.
But once you’ve done all that… there are some goodies that await.
The full descriptions of all SLIG course can be found here and the courses include:
SLIG 2022 (January 9-14):
• Operation Jumpstart: Beyond the Basics of Military Research
Coordinator: Michael L. Strauss, AG
• Advanced Land Tools: Maps — WAIT LIST
Coordinator: Richard G. Sayre, CG, CGL, FUGA
• Gothic Script and Fraktur: Reading Records of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, and the Czech Republic, plus German-American Church Books and Newspapers
Coordinator: F. Warren Bittner
• Back to the Old Country: Genealogy of Ashkenazic Jews of Galicia (Austrian Empire) and the Russian Empire
Coordinator: Emily H. Garber, MA
• Advanced New England Research: From the Colonial Period to the Early 1900s
Coordinator: D. Joshua Taylor, MA, MLS
• DNA Dreamers in Action: Writing Proof Arguments
Coordinator: Karen Stanbary, MA, LCSW, CG
• Applied Genealogical Methods Workshop: Hands-on Skillbuilding
Coordinator: Michael G. Hait, CG
• Critical Thinking Methods for Your Genealogy Breakthroughs
Coordinator: Jan Joyce, DBA, CG, CGL, AG
• Advanced Genealogical Methods
Coordinator: Paul K. Graham, AG, CG, CGL
• Becoming an Accredited Genealogist Professional: The Why, the What, the How
Coordinators: Diana Elder, AG and Lisa Stokes, AG
• Guided Research and Consultation
Coordinator: Craig Roberts Scott, MA, CG, FUGA
SLIG Academy (January 30-April):
• Writing and Documenting for Peer Review
Coordinator: Karen Mauer Jones, CG, FGBS, FUGA
Wednesdays, 11:00 am–3:00 pm MT, 9 February through 13 April 2022
• You’re Invited: Public Speaking from Concept to Delivery
Coordinator: D. Joshua Taylor, MA, MLS
Thursdays, 9:00 am–12:30 pm MT, 10 February through 14 April 2022
• Teaching Genealogy Classes in Your Community
Coordinator: Katherine R. Willson
Wednesdays, 5:00–7:45 pm MT, 9 February through 6 April 2022
• Beyond Fundamentals: Hands-on Forensic Genealogy
Coordinator: Catherine B. W. Desmarais, CG
Section 4: Wednesdays, 9:00 am–12:30 pm MT, 9 February through 6 April 2022
Section 4B: Wednesdays, 3:00–6:30 pm MT, 9 February through 6 April 2022
Note that some courses have been postponed, to 2023 or indefinitely, in light of the pandemic and related issues. These courses include my own “On Beyond Zed: Hands-on with Advanced Legal Analysis;” “Advanced Research Techniques for German Genealogy,” coordinated by Michael D. Lacopo, DVM; “Introduction to Genetic Genealogy,” coordinated by Paul Woodbury, MEd; “Evidence-Based Writing for Genealogists,” coordinated by Melissa A. Johnson, CG; “Advanced Southern Research and Sources,” coordinated by J. Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA, and the SLIG Academy course “The Art of Writing Client Reports,” coordinated by Angela Packer McGhie, CG, FUGA.
Cite/link to this post: Judy G. Russell, “SLIG 2022 registration now open,” The Legal Genealogist (https://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog : posted 16 Aug 2021).