Test that DNA!
Once again the DNA testing companies are giving us — and our cousins — no excuse for not getting that DNA test done.
Yes, it’s sale time again, with sales for the American Thanksgiving holiday offered by all the major DNA companies.
And the deals are good enough for the next few days that we — and our cousins — really have no excuse for not testing. Really.
The following prices are US prices, but many offers are also available internationally, so check the websites in your country for more information about international sales:
• At 23andMe, the sale price is $49 if you buy two or more ancestry kits, usually priced at $99 each, and $69 if you order just one. Note that the $199 health and ancestry kits are not on sale. The sales price is good through November 22.
• AncestryDNA’s kits are now $59 on sale, down from the usual $79. The sale price is good through November 21.
• LivingDNA, one of the newer entrants to the testing arena and located in the United Kingdom, has its kits on sale for $79 plus shipping (no expiration date shown). LivingDNA has recently announced a partnership with the British genealogy website FindMyPast.com, but note that the sale price is not shown there at all.
• MyHeritageDNA has its kits on sale for $49 (normally $79), and you get free shipping if you order two or more tests. The sale lasts through November 22. And remember, you can upload your data from other testing companies to MyHeritage for free — but only until December 1.
And then there’s the Family Tree DNA sale, where there’s a lot more to choose from because, unlike the other testing companies, Family Tree DNA offers full range of genealogical DNA tests, including YDNA tests for the direct paternal line and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) tests for exploring the direct maternal line.
The Family Tree DNA sale prices are also good through November 22:
• The Family Finder autosomal test, usually $79, is on sale for $49.
• Family Finder combined with Y-37, usually $248, is priced at $143. (Remember, only males can take YDNA tests.)
• Family Finder combined with full mtDNA, usually $278, is priced at $183.
• Family Finder combined with Y-67 and full mtDNA, usually $546, is priced at $362.
• For YDNA only, the basic 37-marker YDNA test, usually $169, is on sale for $99. The 67-marker test, usually $268, is priced at $179 and the 111-marker test, usually $359, is priced at $219. And if you want to go big, the Big Y-500 test, usually $649, is sale priced at $499. If you’ve already done some YDNA testing but want more, there are great upgrade prices as well — check the website for details.
• On the maternal line side, the full mtDNA sequence test, usually $199, is on sale for $139.
With prices like these, there’s something for everyone on sale right now… no excuses for not getting that DNA test done.