Test that DNA!
Once again the DNA testing companies are giving us — and our cousins — no excuse for not getting that DNA test done.
Yes, it’s sale time again, with some brief sales for the American Thanksgiving holiday to start with, and with the more general holiday sale already underway at Family Tree DNA.
First, the Thanksgiving sales, all of which expire at the end of the day Thursday, November 23:
• AncestryDNA’s kits are now $79 on sale, down from the usual $99. At the same time there’s a 20% off Ancestry subscriptions sale going on for those who want to expand what they can get from their DNA testing. Both offers expire on 11/23/2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
• MyHeritageDNA has its kits on sale for $59 through November 23.
• At 23andMe, the sale price is $49 if you buy two or more ancestry kits, usually priced at $99 each (the $199 health and ancestry kits are not on sale).
And then there’s the Family Tree DNA holiday sale that will last through the Christmas season.
There’s a lot more on sale there because, unlike the other testing companies, Family Tree DNA offers a full range of genealogical DNA tests, including YDNA tests for the direct paternal line and mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) tests for exploring the direct maternal line.
The Family Tree DNA sale prices are good through December 31, can be combined with special coupon savings being sent to existing customers and offer some amazing values:
• The Family Finder autosomal test, usually $79, is on sale for $59 through the end of the year.
• The basic 37-marker YDNA test, usually $169, is on sale for $129. The 67-marker test, usually $268, is priced at $229 and the 111-marker test, usually $359 is priced at $299.
• The full mtDNA sequence test, usually $199, is on sale for $169.
There are also test bundles well worth exploring:
• Family Finder plus Y-37, usually $258, is priced at $178.
• Family Finder plus Y-67, usually $357, is priced at $278.
• Family Finder plus full mtDNA, usually $288, is priced at $218.
• Family Finder plus Y-67 plus full mtDNA, usually $556, is priced at $442.
Perhaps the most intriguing bundle is this: if you already have a YDNA test in the system, and you upgrade to the Big Y test at the sale price of $475 (usually $575), your regular YDNA results will get upgraded to 111 markers for free. That is a lot of YDNA testing for a much smaller than usual price.
Rounding out the list of DNA holiday sales, there’s a sale going on at LivingDNA, with its focused ethnicity test selling for $99, down from the usual $159. There’s bound to be an expiration date — it’s billed as a holiday gift sale and the graphic has a Christmas ribbon on the test kit — but in the few minutes I spent exploring the web page I couldn’t find it.
In other words, there’s something for everyone on sale right now… no excuses for not getting that DNA test done.