Big time genealogy gets underway today in New York City!
It’s The Genealogy Event — a first of its kind two-day genealogy extravaganza at the Metropolitan Pavilion (125 West 18th Street, between 6th and 7th).
The show opens today at noon and runs until 7 p.m., then picks up tomorrow at 9 a.m. and runs until 6 p.m. Advance ticket sales have been brisk, but you can still buy tickets at the door for $20 a day.
Many of the 40-plus presentations will have at least a few on-the-spot tickets available, but even if you can’t make it into the one lecture you’d most like to hear, that’s no reason not to come on out and join in the fun. Because the presentations are only one part of this event: there’s an exhibit hall, one-on-one sessions with experts, and a lot of show specials to check out.
In alphabetical order, the exhibitors are:
• Association of Professional Genealogists (APG)
• Boston University Center for Professional Education
• Criminal Research Press
• DRS Imaging
• Echo Road
• Eyewind Productions
• Family Tree DNA
• Family Tree Magazine
• German Genealogy Group
• Gesher Galicia / Jewish Genealogical Society of Los Angeles
• Greta Nettleton
• Ireland Reaching Out
• Irish Ancestry Research Centre
• Irish Family History Forum
• Jewish Genealogical Society Inc (NY)
• Legacy Roots LLC
• Moorshead Publishing
• National Genealogical Society
• New England Historic and Genealogical Society
• New York Irish Center
• Our Familyology
• Photo Detective
• RumbleSoft Inc
• Stories to Tell
• The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society
• Tourist Office for Flanders-Brussels
I’ll be there both days — I’m speaking today at 1:15 p.m., and tomorrow at 11 a.m., about The ABCs of DNA. So if you’ve been thinking about sticking your toes in the waters of genetic genealogy, come join me and we’ll go over the basics of what you need to know to choose the right test for you. If the lecture you want is sold out, look for me around the exhibit hall and introduce yourself.