Last day for early bird registration
There’s something very new, and very exciting, at this year’s Southern California Genealogy Jamboree in June.
An entire day devoted to DNA and its use in family history.
And today is the last day to register in advance and get the early bird registration discount.
Co-sponsored by the Southern California Genealogical Society (SCGS) and the International Society for Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG), Family History and DNA: Genetic Genealogy in 2013 will be held Thursday, June 6, 2013, in conjunction with the Southern California Genealogy Jamboree in Burbank.
It’s the first-of-its-kind — an entire day devoted to examining everything from the very basics of what DNA can do to help with genealogical problems to chrosomosome mapping and phasing of autosomal DNA results.
Dr. Spencer Wells of the Genographic Project at the National Geographic Society is the keynote speaker, on the topic of “The Genographic Project and the Rise of Citizen Science.”
And Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. (“Faces of America” and “Finding Your Roots”) is the lunch speaker.
The day-long program has something for everyone at every level of knowledge on genetic genealogy. There’s plenty if you’re just starting out; there’s plenty for those who have some knowledge and want to know more; there’s even plenty for those who consider themselves really familiar with genetic genealogy.
Here’s the lineup of speakers:
• Spencer Wells, PhD – “The Genographic Project and the Rise of Citizen Science”
• Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL – “ABCs of DNA”
• Bennett Greenspan (Family Tree DNA) – “Genetic Tools: What They are and When to Use Them”
• Tim Janzen, MD – “Mapping Your Chromosomes with Autosomnal DNA”
• Richard Hill – “Finding Family with DNA Testing: An Adoptee Success Story”
• Joanna Mountain, PhD (23andMe) – “DNA and Family History: Getting the Most out of 23andme’s Genealogy Features”
• Blaine Bettinger, JD – “Using Third-Party Tools to Analyze Your Autosomal DNA Results”
• Emily D. Aulicino – “Genetic Genealogy: Beginner Basics”
• CeCe Moore – “Autosomal DNA Testing for the Genealogist”
• Debbie Parker Wayne, CG, CGL – “Mitochondrial DNA: Tools and Techniques to Go Beyond Basics”
• Katherine Hope Borges – “Famous DNA”
• Ken Chahine, PhD, JD (AncestryDNA) – “An Inside Look at AncestryDNA”
• Alice M. Fairhurst and David Reynolds - “The Changing Y-DNA Haplotree and Its Impact”
Hope to see you in Burbank!